Sunday evening a motorcyclist crashed with a truck, was ejected off his motorcycle and died in Davie, Florida. Although unconfirmed, it is alleged that the motorcyclist tried to pass the truck who was making a left when the truck and motorcycle crashed. The accident occurred in Davie, Florida between Southwest 48 Avenue and Griffin Road. The motorcyclist was airlifted to Memorial Regional Hospital but was pronounced dead. Ironically enough approximately six months ago another motorcycle on Davie Road slammed into the driver’s side of a pickup truck causing the motorcyclists to be propelled approximately 30 feet north of the truck.
By far, helmets remain the most effective way to prevent motorcycle accident related fatalities. In 2008, 43% of fatally injured motorcyclists were not wearing helmets. The U.S. Department of Transportation discusses a brief statistical summary of motorcycle accidents.
Florida’s growing population and growing number of motorcyclists only increase the probability of motorcycle accidents, car accidents, and car vs. motorcycle crashes. Interestingly enough riders aged 45-54 were the age group who experienced the largest number of motorcycle related deaths in Florida. Most motorcycle accidents in Florida occur in Miami-Dade, Volusia, Hillsborough, Palm Beach, Broward, Duval, Orange, Pasco, and Brevard counties.
If you are involved in a motorcycle accident, it is important that you remember the following things:
- remain at the scene of the incident;
- try to check and identify what your injuries are;
- call the police and file a police report;
- get the other driver’s information, including insurance information;
- make sure that you see a doctor or seek medical attention even if you have just a few symptoms or complaints;
- take pictures of your vehicle, the other driver’s vehicle’s, your injuries, the other person’s injuries, and the scene of the accident;
- gather any documents proving your inability to work, medical expenses, etc.
It is very important to contact an attorney that is experienced in handling motorcycle accidents. If you are involved in a motorcycle accident, contact a motorcycle accident lawyer as soon as you can in order to make sure that the needed evidence to prove your case is preserved. Jeffrey R. Davis, P.A. has vast experience dealing with motorcycle accidents. There are many factors in any case that can affect the amount of damage that you receive to compensate you for your injuries, hiring an attorney like Jeff Davis to handle your motorcycle accident case can help you obtain the justice that you deserve.