30 Years Anniversary
The Florida Bar
American Board of Trial Advocates
Evaluated for Professionalism
National Business Institute
Avvo Rating 10.0
Legal Elite 2019 Badge

You Fell on a Property: What Should You Do Next?

Jeffrey R. Davis

If you fell at a store or suffered another type of accident on commercial property, you could seek compensation through a premises liability claim. Florida business owners are responsible for their property’s safety. If a store employee’s negligence caused your accident, the owner may then have to cover your medical bills, lost wages, and other eligible costs. 

The following steps will help protect your rights after you suffer a slip- or trip-and-fall accident on business property. 

1. Report the Accident

Let the property owner or manager know you suffered an accident. You should do this verbally and in writing so you have a record of your communication with the business. If the business has a standard incident report form, fill it out. 

You may also consider filing a formal accident report with law enforcement. This official report could serve as valuable evidence for your claim.

2. Gather Evidence While It’s There

Thorough evidence collection is a must if you fell at a store. The business may deny responsibility, so you need solid proof to thwart any underhanded tactics. The store owner can quickly mop up a spill or remove uneven carpeting and pretend it was never there, so take photos before you leave. 

Be sure to capture the accident scene from several angles, focusing on the precise spot where you fell. Also, take photos of your visible injuries or ask someone else to do it for you.

3. Talk to Witnesses

Other customers likely saw your accident. If possible, ask for their contact info. The other customers or visitors can testify that the accident likely happened because of the dangerous condition on the property, and possibly also that the owner had enough time to fix it. This can be extremely useful in proving the property owner violated their duty of care.

4. See a Doctor

Go for a medical checkup as soon as possible after your accident, ideally within 24 hours. Don’t put this off, as some injuries are much more serious than may seem at first. You’ll need these medical records and bills as evidence for your claim.

Slip-and-fall incidents can have devastating consequences, especially for seniors and other vulnerable people. If an injury has a lasting impact and you’re preparing to negotiate a large claim, you’ll need an experienced lawyer to represent you and protect your rights.

Otherwise, the liable insurance company will probably take advantage of your vulnerable situation and try to underpay you. Never accept a settlement before an experienced lawyer evaluates your claim’s worth.

Contact Our Law Firm If You Suffered an Accident on Someone’s Property

Are you dealing with a serious injury and major medical expenses after you fell at a store? Call Jeffrey R. Davis, P.A. Our Coral Gables legal team can help you file a premises liability claim, negotiate with insurers, and work hard to help you secure appropriate compensation.

Call (305) 577-3777 for a free case evaluation 24/7.

Client Reviews

Mr Davis is the finest personal injury attorney in the state of Florida. His intensive medical knowledge alone and how it relates to Florida law puts you in the hands of this highly skilled lawyer. Injury cases today more than ever need a fighter on your side and the...

David S.

Someone who truly cares! We had been dealing with a legal issue for over two years with another attorney, with no results. Jeff Davis stepped in, and has made more progress in a few months, than we had in over two years. He communicates absolutely everything with his...

Ashlie W.

Jeffrey is a very knowledgeable and competent attorney. When I spoke with Jeffrey the first time on the phone, he was professional and answered any questions I had. So if you are ever in need of an awesome personal injury attorney who has excellent communication skills...

Dr. Jared R.

Get in Touch

Available 24/7 (305) 577-3777