In 2016, 37,000 Lives Were Lost On U.S Roads!
The U.S Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Administration (USDOT) released fatal traffic crash date for the year of 2016. According to NHTSA, the data collected was from all 50 states and the District of Columbia. In the year of 2016, approximately 37,000 lives were lost because of road accidents. This data showed that traffic-related fatalities had increased 5.6 percent from the year previously. Motorcyclists and pedestrians accounted for more than a third of these deaths. NHTSA found that distracted driving and drowsy driving fatalities declined, while deaths related to reckless driving increased.
What is reckless driving?
Reckless driving is when you are operating a motor vehicle with indifference to the safety or property of others. This can mean fleeing from a police officer, being intoxicated or under the influence of drugs or alcohol while behind the wheel, aggressively driving or speeding at very high levels. Reckless driving is a major moving traffic violation in the United States and is often punishable by fines, imprisonment, or driver’s license suspension or revocation.
Reckless driving was the major cause of the 5.6 increase but there were also other reasons why the death rate was so high in the year 2016:
The 2016 national data shows that:
- Distraction-related deaths (3,450 fatalities) decreased by 2.2 percent;
- Drowsy-driving deaths (803 fatalities) decreased by 3.5 percent;
- Drunk-driving deaths (10,497 fatalities) increased by 1.7 percent;
- Speeding-related deaths (10,111 fatalities) increased by 4.0 percent;
- Unbelted deaths (10,428 fatalities) increased by 4.6 percent;
- Motorcyclist deaths (5,286 fatalities – the largest number of motorcyclist fatalities since 2008) increased by 5.1 percent;
- Pedestrian deaths (5,987 fatalities – the highest number since 1990) increased by 9.0 percent; and
- Bicyclist deaths (840 fatalities – the highest number since 1991) increased by 1.3 percent.
This Data shows the reasons behind why traffic accidents occur and how many fatalities result because of them. The NHTSA strives to lower the number of vehicle-related accidents that occur each year and continues to promote the advancement of vehicle safety so that the potential to reduce the number of crashes and save thousands of lives every year can be achieved.
If you or a loved one has lost someone in an motor vehicle accident because of someone’s reckless driving, you deserve justice and compensation. Jeffrey R Davis, P.A is a personal injury law firm that specializes in injury claims. They are dedicated to learning about their clients’ case and strive to give their clients the closure they deserve. For more information on Jeffrey R Davis, P.A., call them at (305) 577-3777 for a free consultation today.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!