Assaults, Robberies and Attacks

The effects of a physical attack are often devastating.  Depending upon the nature and severity of the attack a victim may suffer physical or mental injuries and even death.  There may even be a need for ongoing medical care and psychological counseling.  You will need an experienced personal injury attorney to help protect your legal rights.  Jeffrey R. Davis P.A. has represented victims injured by attacks for 25 years.

Criminal v. Civil Trial

Although the government prosecutes an attacker in criminal proceedings, this is separate from civil proceedings for personal injuries.  So, the victim of an attack maintains the right to sue their attacker or another responsible party in a separate civil trial to compensate for their actual injuries, which may include medical care, dental work, rehabilitative therapy, loss of wages, pain and suffering. It is important to know that the outcome of criminal trials does not control the outcome of the civil case. Even if the defendant in a criminal trial is found not guilty, it is still possible for the civil trial to result in monetary damages.  Therefore, a victim should still consult a personal injury attorney to understand their legal rights regardless of a criminal verdict.

Punitive Damages

Intentional crime cases (such as assaults, batteries, robberies or other intentional attacks) are often candidates for punitive damages because the defendant intended actual harm or serious offense.  So, in addition to compensatory damages for their actual injuries and losses, a plaintiff-victim is allowed to recover these additional punitive damages when the defendant’s conduct and state of mind are malicious or reckless.  However, Florida does place limitations on the amount a punitive damages award. FLA. STAT. § 768.73.

If you have been injured by an intentional crime such as an assault, battery, robbery, or other attack, contact Jeffrey R. Davis P.A. to learn about your legal rights and how to receive compensation for your injuries.  Submit a free case review or call (305) 577-3777 to speak with an attorney.  Our attorneys will speak with you in English or Spanish/Sé Habla Español.