TBIs (Traumatic Brain Injuries) are defined as a blows/jolts to the head or as penetrating head injuries that disrupt the function of the brain. TBIs claim more than 50,000 lives and leave more than 80,000 individuals with lifelong disabilities each year. In addition to the immediate impact a brain injury can have, its long-term effects increase the risk of acquiring crippling neurological disorders, such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and post-traumatic dementia. TBIs occur most often in motor vehicle-traffic accidents, slips and falls, and assaults.
Here are some helpful tips to prevent TBIs:
TBI Prevention Methods:
– Always wear a seat belt in a motor vehicle
– Use an appropriate child safety seat or a booster
– Never drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs
– Always wear a helmet when on a bicycle or motor vehicle
Fall Prevention Methods:
– Use the rails on stairways
– Provide adequate lighting, especially on stairs
– Sit on safe stools
– Do not place obstacles in walking pathways
For more information on TBIs here.
The Law Offices of Jeffrey R. Davis have over 25 years of experience in dealing with Traumatic Brain Injury cases and personal injury litigation.
If you or a loved one has suffered a TBI or any other injury, contact us for a free consultation or call us at 305-577-3777.